Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Cleanin' it Old School


So, this mama has been making her own household cleaners for about the last two years.  So far, I've made everything from detergent to hardwood floor cleaner.  I am hugely impressed with how well the old school cleaners work.  Why did we every stray away from the old stand-bys like Borax, vinegar, and peroxide???

In the process mixing my magical potions I've saved loads of money, got our laundry and home cleaner than ever, and kept those nasty and unnecessary chemicals out of our home.  It's cheaper and safer...a no-brainer!

Let me share two of my absolute favorites with you, but before we get started here's what you'll need:

2 Spray bottles (I scored mine at the Dollar Tree)
White Vinegar
Peroxide
Dawn soap (or whatever dish soap is your favorite)

DIH All Purpose Cleaner (Windows, too):

1/4 c. White Vinegar
1 c. water (I prefer warm water to help blend the soap)
2 tsp./squirts of soap

Blend these three simple ingredients in a spray bottle and clean everything from your windows to your counter tops.  It works like a dream!

DIH Anti-bacterial Cleaner:

3/4 c.  Peroxide (in the brown bottle)
1/2 c. water (I prefer warm water to blend the soap)
2 tsp./squirts of soap

Again, blend these three ingredients in a spray bottle, add a cute label and get to work.  I love to use it on door knobs, the counters after working with raw meat, and the bathroom (from floor to ceiling).  Basically, anywhere there could be creepy, crawly germs...and with three boys they are everywhere!

Hint, hint...the peroxide cleaner also works great cleaning carpet stains.  Our carpets are cream colored and it cleans tough spots with ease.  As with any cleaner, test a small area first.

;) Happy Cleaning