Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Kids Coat Rack Made From $10 Bookshelf

Hello, lovelies!  We all get to the point with our kids where it's like 'okay, it's time that they start doing some things for themselves'.  But, what do I have them do that will teach responsibility but will not make me feel like they're now so independent that next week they'll be driving off to college?  Hmmmm..... 

When beginning a project I always try to think of problem areas in the house (um, that's pretty much every square foot!!), then once determined, the next step is to find something that we already own and repurpose for the new project.  I'm thinking, okay, school is going to be starting soon, what problems will arise?  The first thing we do when we walk in the house is take off our shoes and jackets. 

The boys need to learn a bit of responsibility + a mess of shoes and jackets = *ding, ding, ding*   KIDS COAT RACK.

We've had this bookshelf that I bought from a yard sale for $10.  It was great because a ton of books were held on it, but to my little guys it wasn't a book shelf.  It was a game shelf.  I don't mean games were stored on it.  What I mean is it became a game for them to take EVERY SINGLE BOOK OFF THE SHELVES at least three times a day.  Well, game shelf no more...come with me, you're my next repurposing project!



 
 
 
Next, I picked a Valspar paint that was a really cute robin's egg blue and mixed up some homemade chalk paint.  (Recipe for homemade chalk paint will come in a later post.)  After adding two coats of paint and two $2.00 hooks from Lowe's, "the big boy store" as we call it in our house, check out the finished product!!
 
 
 
 
 
Isn't it so cute and practical?!  We've got hooks for jackets and book bags, a shelf for bike helmets, and bins for shoes.  The best part is the total cost was $14.  Can't get much better than that!