Saturday, October 12, 2013

Fall Decor on the Cheap

I love, love, love everything about this time of year.  From the smells to the activities to the décor, this girl is a huge fan!

Here are two of my favorite and totally inexpensive (of course) decorations that take our home from summertime cheer to fantastic fall:






Although I enjoy how corn stalks look, let's face it, getting them from point A to point B with 3 kids in the car is a challenge I'm not up for.  My solution...twigs!  This project couldn't be any less expensive or easy to tackle.  Plus, I disguise the hunt for twigs as a nature walk and even the kiddies are happy. 

Here's how to achieve the look:

1.) Take a spin around your yard and grab some twigs that are about three feet in length or longer.  I prefer the ones with twists and turns and lots of off-shoots for added interest.  While their natural color looks great with fall décor, I chose to spray this batch gold and black. 

2.) When the spray paint is dry bunch the twigs together using a zip tie.

3.) Attach the twigs to your exterior columns using your favorite fall or Halloween ribbon.  Mine happens to be from the Dollar Tree (of course!!!).

Here's my fall dining room décor.  While I already had the two decorative candlestick holders and fleur de lis, I made the clear glass cylinders for some added fall flare.  They were super simple to make and, best of all, the components all came from my local Dollar Tree.






All you'll need to get started is a glass candlestick holder, glass glue, and a vase.  Simply flip over the candlestick holder, apply a generous amount of glass glue, and attach the vase to the candlestick holder.  I placed a heavy book on the top of the vase to ensure the glue would bond and allowed it to dry for at least 24 hours.  Once completely dry, I filled them with fall potpourri, pumpkins, and leaves and placed them amongst the other candlestick holders.








This project was a definite A+ because for just $2.00 a piece I have an adorable decoration for every season/holiday.  Just imagine how great they'll look with miniature Christmas balls, conversation hearts, or Easter eggs!