Sunday, February 23, 2014

Get Better Soup

Things have been really gross around our house for the past week. I've dealt with a plethora of bodily fluids from my kids this week and our entire house needs Lysol'd. So, if you've missed hearing from me.....and I know you have ;).....that's why.

As I mentioned the last time you and I chatted, I'm using this time to brainstorm. While I love imagining new projects around the house, I've mainly been thinking up and testing new recipes. Here is my $3 "Get Better Soup" recipe that can feed your entire family.  It's soooo good!  

Keep this in mind before getting your ingredients together....  The amount of ingredients I'm calling for is because I made this for lunch. However, you can easily make this for dinner and just add two extra potatoes, carrots, celery, and more meat. 

Ingredients you'll need:

Two russet potatoes - peeled and cubed
Two large carrots - peeled and diced
One large parsnip - peeled and diced
Two celery stalks - diced




Before you begin chopping your veggies, add about twelve cups of water to a stockpot and bring to a boil. Then add 4 beef or chicken bouillon cubes. After a ton of testing out bouillon, I swear by the Knorr brand. 




If you use a different brand of bouillon you'll probably need to add a bit more because they may be a smaller size than Knorr's. 

Next ingredients:

One cup of chopped beef or chicken - this doesn't have to be added, but if you have some leftover from the night before, by all means, add it. :)




1/2 lb pasta - I used farfalle, but only because that's what I had on hand. If you have rotini, egg noodles, macaroni, etc., feel free to use it. 

Preparation:

Here's the deal with how easy this is to cook. Once the water is boiling and the bouillon is dropped in the water, add all of your veggies and meat, if you're adding meat. Let it cook at a boil for about ten minutes. 

In the meantime, cook your pasta in a separate pot according to the directions on the box.  Are you wondering why I cook the pasta in a different pot?  To me, if you cook the pasta in the soup it gets too starchy and tastes more like a gravy-ish soup.  Gravy-ish isn't a real word?  Well, it should be.  :) 

Once everything is cooked, add some pasta to your bowls then ladle some of your delicious broth and veggies over the pasta. 





Taste it quick. Do you like it?!?  
 
 
 


No comments :

Post a Comment